4.0240 Computing for the Visually Impaired (2/189)

Mon, 2 Jul 90 20:54:00 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0240. Monday, 2 Jul 1990.

(1) Date: Thu, 28 Jun 90 19:57 EST (34 lines)
From: Terrence Erdt <ERDT@VUVAXCOM>
Subject: computers for the visually impaired

(2) Date: Sunday, 1 July 1990 2:26pm CST (55 lines)
From: EIEB360@UTXVM.BITNET
Subject: 4.0229 Notes and Queries

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 90 19:57 EST
From: Terrence Erdt <ERDT@VUVAXCOM>

Patrick W. Conner <U47C2@WVNVM> inquires about hardware and software
for indiviudals with sight impairments:

According to ads in BYTE, The National Braille Press (617-226 6160)
offers a publication entitled "The Second Beginner's Guide to Personal
Computers for the Blind and Visually Impaired," which surveys large
print display processors and voice cards. The address of the press is:

88 St. Stephen Street
Boston, MA 02115

The American Foundation for the Blind's National Technology Center
(NTC) maintains a user network of people who use adaptive equipment,
including computers. The phone number for the center is:
(800) 232-5463; the address is:

15 West 16th Street
New York, NY 10011

CompuServe offers the Handicapped Users' Database (Go Hud) and
the Disabilities Forum (Go Disabilities).

A message sent to the nearest listserv (e.g., listserv@villvm) can
(that is, the Univ. of Arkansas Main Campus); otherwise, send the
message sub blind-l [your name] to listserv@uafsysb.

Terry Erdt, Villanova University