4.0219 Interactive Fiction; Post-Modern Culture List (2/51)

Mon, 25 Jun 90 17:49:34 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0219. Monday, 25 Jun 1990.

(1) Date: Mon, 25 Jun 90 08:27:21 EDT (30 lines)
From: "Adam C. Engst" <PV9Y@CORNELLA>
Subject: Re: 4.0201 ... Interactive Fiction ...

(2) Date: Sun, 24 Jun 90 17:13:29 EDT (21 lines)
From: John Unsworth <JMUEG@NCSUVM>
Subject: New discussion group

Date: Mon, 25 Jun 90 08:27:21 EDT
From: "Adam C. Engst" <PV9Y@CORNELLA>

For those interested in interactive fiction, Gordon Howell of
Herriot-Watt University in Scotland published a sporadic journal called
IF-Digest which is oriented towards interactive fiction as a literary
genre. Gordon's address is gordon@hci.hw.ac.uk. Also, I majored in
hypertextual fiction at Cornell last year and wrote a large piece of
hyperfiction along with a long discussion of hyperfiction as a
literature. Both pieces are in a hypertext editor (what else?) called
StorySpace on the Mac. StorySpace was written by Jay David Bolter of U
of North Carolina and Michael Joyce of the U of Michigan and will
hopefully be published this summer by a company called Eastgate Systems.
If anyone wants a copy of my thesis work, send me a disk with a
self-addressed, stamped envelope ($.45 usually does it if the envelope
is light in the US). The files are too large to upload and will come in
a self-extracting StuffIT archive. A Mac Plus and hard drive are
required.

Another place to get information on interactive fiction is the Usenet
group rec.arts.int-fiction, which I started four years ago, but which has
changed topic from hypertextual fiction (as I started calling it) to
things like AI role-playing games and simulated environments, in which
I'm not as interested. The best place to find other references is in my
thesis discussion so I won't go into more details here...

Adam Engst

Adam C. Engst pv9y@cornella.bitnet