4.0216 Computer Names on JANET (2/66)

Mon, 25 Jun 90 17:36:42 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0216. Monday, 25 Jun 1990.

(1) Date: Fri, 22 Jun 90 10:47 GMT (53 lines)
From: Oxford Text Archive <ARCHIVE@VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK>
Subject: JANET names

(2) Date: Fri, 22 Jun 90 11:05 GMT (13 lines)
From: Oxford Text Archive <ARCHIVE@VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK>
Subject: postscript on JANET names

Date: Fri, 22 Jun 90 10:47 GMT
From: Oxford Text Archive <ARCHIVE@VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK>

In an idle moment this morning I have been analysing the names of JANET
sites, a list of which is freely available. Of course these names for
computers are all assigned according to a Name registration scheme and
therefore less freely chosen than those you might find in your local
department. There are 1131 different terminal names (i.e. the last name
following the dot) in the current list, most of which are one offs.
Among countless abbreviations for places and institutions, there are a
lot of really rather silly names (examples of hapax legumina
<fn>this is a joke</fn>
which caught my eye include AMAZON, BADGER, BASIL, BEETROOT, CABBAGE,
KLINGON, NUTMEG, PIGLET, TURNIP WOMBAT and ZEN - as well as one to
delight the heart of all humanists - 'GOLLEM' (sic).

If anyone wants the full list, I will send it. For the moment, here are
the names that appear more than five times: no surprises here, unless
it is to demonstrate fairly conclusively how popular computer
manufacturers with names begining with 'D' are these days, for
networking purposes at least:

A 6
CAD 6
CU 6