4.0209 Midrash as Collage (1/21)

Wed, 20 Jun 90 18:07:09 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0209. Wednesday, 20 Jun 1990.

Date: 06/20/90 11:58:52
From: Tzvee Zahavy <MAIC@UMINN1>
Subject: Midrash as Collage

I thank Mr. Bregman for his response to my note. I must apologize for
assuming that Neusner's books were deliberately excluded from the
library collection of the Hebrew Union College. I assumed that the
College attempted to order all new titles in the fields of Jewish
Studies. I did not realize that the Jerusalem collection was so small
and limited. I hope they will have the resources to catch up and fill
in the gaps in the library.

I also stand corrected in assuming that Mr. Bregman meant to use
"collage" as a term to define the entire phenomenon of "midrash".
Surely we must agree that each document of early rabbinism be subjected
to critical scrutiny on its own merits. Some sections of individual
midrash-collections will resemble a "collage". I see now that Mr.
Bregman means to use the term to describe literary components within
specific volumes. That would constitute a valid approach under the
prevailing paradigm for research. Global application of "collage" to
"midrash" would still be meaningless.

E-MAIL: MAIC@VM1.SPCS.UMN.EDU
BITNET: MAIC@UMINN1________Telephone:(612)920-4263
US-MAIL: UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA, CLASSICAL AND NEAR EASTERN
STUDIES, 310 FOLWELL HALL, MINNEAPOLIS, MN 55455