4.0172 Text-Analysis Software; Programming Micros (2/89)

Wed, 13 Jun 90 17:48:45 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0172. Wednesday, 13 Jun 1990.

(1) Date: Wed, 13 Jun 90 09:45 EST (40 lines)
From: <PWILLETT@BINGVAXC>
Subject: Software of the Future

(2) Date: Tue, 12 Jun 90 22:55:59 CDT (49 lines)
From: Richard Goerwitz <goer@sophist.uchicago.edu>
Subject: programming these silly micros - a relevant concern

Date: Wed, 13 Jun 90 09:45 EST
From: <PWILLETT@BINGVAXC>

The members of HUMANIST have in the past discussed the scholar's
workstation of the future. I'd like to turn the discussion to musings
about the software of the future, particularly software for text
analysis.

At a recent conference (IASSIST--mostly social scientists, but this
year's conference included consideration of electronic texts, images and
sounds) I heard several presentations about text analysis software. It
seems to me, without having a good grasp of the nature of research using
this software, that most of the software is based on one of two types: a
concordance model, or a mark-up scheme. Using concordance-type software
like WordCruncher requires, it seems to me, a fairly thorough familiarity
with the text under analysis, searching for evidence of occurences the
researcher already knows to be there. The second type, using mark-up
schemes, requires that one painstakingly plan what we wish the computer
to tell us. If *only* syntactic elements are marked, then searching by
structural elements is still impossible.

These two types of software strike me to be somewhat first-
generational. I've looked briefly through the _Humanities Computing
Yearbook_ for evidence of other kinds, but do not see anything. Perhaps
I'm missing something. Perhaps the complexities of language and
literature will not allow for any more sophistication than this.
Perhaps the development necessary isn't equivalent to the expected
financial or career payoff. Still, I would like to hear from other
HUMANISTs the kinds of software they would like to see developed for
text analysis, either taking into consideration the limits of humankind
and machinery, or not, whatever one's preference. I think both
pragmatists and dreamers can contribute to this discussion. What will
the literary software of the future do, what will it look like, and who
will develop it?

Perry Willett
Main Library
SUNY-Binghamton