4.1065 Windows 3.0; GUI (2/84)

Tue, 12 Jun 90 22:40:45 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0165. Tuesday, 12 Jun 1990.

(1) Date: Sun, 3 Jun 90 19:09 EST (21 lines)
From: "N. MILLER" <NMILLER@TRINCC>
Subject: Windows 3.0

(2) Date: Mon, 4 JUN 90 18:50:05 BST (73 lines)
From: CHAA006@vax.rhbnc.ac.uk
Subject: RE: 4.0157 Interfaces

Date: Sun, 3 Jun 90 19:09 EST
From: "N. MILLER" <NMILLER@TRINCC>

Clarence Brown's note is somewhat ambiguous. Should the PC/Mac debate
be relegated to history's dustbin because there's now a clear winner
or because it's a dumb question? And what exactly is included in the act
of global (de)fenestration? The baby together with the bath water?

My own opinion of Windows 3.0 (having been suckered into it by the tons
of hype that appeared in the NY Times) is that it remains a video-arcade
toy. Aside from being s l o w and taking up some 4 mb., what does it do
for _adult_ users that trusty Desqview doesn't do more swiftly and more
elegantly?

The question that intrigues me is how Microsoft can go on getting richer
while producing one bomb after another. Perhaps this is what Mr. Brown
had in mind, in which case I would certainly agree that mashing the
delete button is in order.

N. Miller