4.0163 Qs: Lemmatizing; Stamps; Anthro. Software; Email; (4/85)

Sat, 2 Jun 90 14:57:45 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0163. Saturday, 2 Jun 1990.

(1) Date: Thu, 31 May 90 14:53:58 PDT (18 lines)
From: cbf@faulhaber.berkeley.edu (Charles Faulhaber)
Subject: Lemmatization programs

(2) Date: Fri, 1 Jun 90 23:22:45 -0700 (12 lines)
From: Arther Ferrill <ferrill@blake.acs.washington.edu>
Subject: stamps

(3) Date: Sat, 2 Jun 90 11:10 EST (39 lines)
From: MORGAN TAMPLIN <TAMPLIN@TrentU.CA>
Subject: Anthropology Software Request

(4) Date: Thu, 31 May 90 22:48:29 CDT (16 lines)
From: Mark Olsen <mark@gide.uchicago.edu>
Subject: Brain dead mailer

Date: Thu, 31 May 90 14:53:58 PDT
From: cbf@faulhaber.berkeley.edu (Charles Faulhaber)

Are there any automatic or (more realistically) semi-automatic
lemmatization programs out there?

The latter, for example, might take a machine-readable text and
systematically highlight each word (with extremely common words skipped
via a stopword list), then allow the user to assign either to assign it
to a lemma manually by typing the lemma on a command line or, if one
were adding lemmata and forms to an existing corpus, bring up a set of
existing lemmata, from which the user could pick the correct one or to
which the user could add a new one manually.

Charles Faulhaber
UC Berkeley