4.0115 Particles, Words, and Nerds (3/50)

Wed, 23 May 90 20:03:39 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0115. Wednesday, 23 May 1990.

(1) Date: 22 May 90 22:04:00 EDT (27 lines)
From: Mary Dee Harris <mdharris@guvax.georgetown.edu>
Subject: Misplaced Particles ( and such)

(2) Date: Tue, 22 May 90 22:10 PDT (8 lines)
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@UCLAMVS.BITNET>
Subject: Re: 4.0098 Words: Wordolitarianism

(3) Date: Wed, 23 May 90 12:02 PDT (15 lines)
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@UCLAMVS.BITNET>
Subject: Nerds

Date: 22 May 90 22:04:00 EDT
From: Mary Dee Harris <mdharris@guvax.georgetown.edu>

I've been out of town (and off HUMANIST) for about 10 days and am just
now catching up, so my comments may seem quite delayed. But I couldn't
resist --

Charles Young referred to the graduate student who wrote "Hester Prynne
had to leave the town that branded her behind."

When I was a graduate English major at UT Austin, we had a select
society of those who had read all seven books of "The Faerie Queen" --
not at all a large group, but one which I belonged to. I recall at one
of our society meetings (invariably over some sort of spirited
beverages) that I was the only one to remember the scene in the 5th or
6th book, when Spenser describes Una and her donkey after their long
trek through the woods, as (and I paraphrase) "And Una lay down with her
ass in the moonlight."

Who says that grad. students have a monopoly on the pseudo-scatological!

Mary Dee Harris
mdharris@guvax.bitnet
mdharris@guvax.georgetown.edu