4.0109 Address: Accents, Power, Democracy, Gender (4/79)

Wed, 23 May 90 19:33:19 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0109. Wednesday, 23 May 1990.

(1) Date: Tue, 22 May 90 23:51 EDT (15 lines)
From: MERIZ@pittvms
Subject: Accents and Forms of Address

(2) Date: Wed, 23 May 90 10:00:26 BST (17 lines)
From: stephen clark <AP01%liverpool.ac.uk@NSFnet-Relay.AC.UK>
Subject: Accents and Democracy

(3) Date: Wed, 23 May 90 15:16 -0300 (20 lines)
From: DENNIS CINTRA LEITE <FGVSP@BRFapesp.BITNET>
Subject: RE: 4.0097 Classes and Lectures; Forms of Address

(4) Date: 23 May 90 10:29:40 EST (27 lines)
From: "Dr. Ruth Mazo Karras" <RKARRAS@PENNSAS.UPENN.EDU>
Subject: addressing students

Date: Tue, 22 May 90 23:51 EDT
From: MERIZ@pittvms

It may very well be that "we don't usually put people down by their
accents in the USA". Still, our claims to egalitarianism
notwithstanding, some accents remain more acceptable than others (in
corporate boardrooms, for example, or on network newscasts).

As far as forms of address are concerned, might not the widespread
practice of addressing secretaries by their first name be viewed as a
variation on the master/servant relationship?

-Diana Meriz
meriz@pittvms.bitnet