4.0097 Classes and Lectures; Forms of Address (64)

Tue, 22 May 90 17:14:16 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0097. Tuesday, 22 May 1990.

(1) Date: Tue, 22 May 90 08:38:08 EDT (24 lines)
From: Germaine Warkentin <WARKENT@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: "Classes" vs. "lectures"

(2) Date: Tue, 22 May 90 09:38:40 BST (19 lines)
From: N.J.Morgan <gswa03@SUN1.ARTS.GLASGOW.AC.UK>
Subject: Classes

(3) Date: Mon, 21 May 90 17:05 PDT (21 lines)
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@UCLAMVS.BITNET>
Subject: Re: 4.0091 Forms of Address

Date: Tue, 22 May 90 08:38:08 EDT
From: Germaine Warkentin <WARKENT@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>

I was fascinated by Edis Bevan's remarks about North American academic
terminology. S/he is so clearly striving for an open, democratic,
non-regimented terminology, but the terms cited resonate (to me) with
precisely the opposite values. "Lecture" is a no-no here (though I
still use it); it implies no interaction with the students. Mass
learning is certainly a vice in North America (because of budgets; what
the British call "the cuts") but it is by no means any one's ideal. And
as for regimentation, I would like to see Bevan dealing with an
argumentative class (yes, class) of American undergrads (Canadians are
more passive; we need our energy for quarreling about the Constitution).
Is the difference perhaps caused by the fact that so few British
school-leavers go on to university in comparison with North America? The
figures I have seen suggest about 12-15% in Britain, contrasted with
nearly 60% in the US and nearly 50% in Canada. Our students enter much
less well-prepared than the British entrant with his/her three glossy
A-levels. But by fourth year they are quite the equal of their
contemporaries abroad. Bevan seems to me (Open University or not) to be
in a very privileged situation!

Germaine Warkentin (Warkent@vm.epas.utoronto.ca)