4.0091 Forms of Address (88)

Mon, 21 May 90 17:54:07 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0091. Monday, 21 May 1990.

(1) Date: Fri, 18 MAY 90 10:53:32 GMT (40 lines)
From: AEB_BEVAN@VAX.ACS.OPEN.AC.UK
Subject: names, terms and attitudes

(2) Date: Mon, 21 May 90 09:13:12 EDT (15 lines)
From: "S. Thomson Moore" <STMOORE@PUCC>
Subject: forms of address

(3) Date: Sun, 20 May 90 17:16:34 EST (33 lines)
From: Stephen Clausing <SCLAUS@YALEVM>
Subject: addressing students

Date: Fri, 18 MAY 90 10:53:32 GMT
From: AEB_BEVAN@VAX.ACS.OPEN.AC.UK

Name calling

The discussion on what students/faculty call each other has highlighted a
difference in terminology between North American and British university
practices.

We don't in general have classes for undergaduates. Lectures yes.
Seminars certainly. And tutorials. Perhaps sessions in laboratories.
But classes are for school.

School; another difference. School is for pre-undergraduates. When you
come to University you have left school.

In our exams and assesments we dont have quizzes, or a least we dont
call them quizzes. A quizz implies playing little games to tease people
into revealing their knowledge and ignorance. Giving people quizzes
tells them that they are not yet ready to look at real problems, an
dthat they have to jump through hoops held by those with superior minds.

The point I am making is that for me North American terms such as these
have heavy connotations of regimented learning and attempts to control
through manipulation. I am NOT saying that we avoid those attitudes in
British universities, just that the language of American academic life
suggests from my perspective that those attitudes have been internalised
and accepted while British terms *appear* to challenge them and to offer
students a more equitable and dignified relationship.

How are these terms actually interpreted by North Americans (and how do
they react to British terms).

By the way calling someone just by their last name is a pretty heavy
put-down over here. It definitely implies a master/servant,
officer/ranker type of relationship.

Edis Bevan