4.0076 Maps (122)

Sat, 19 May 90 19:28:03 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0076. Saturday, 19 May 1990.

(1) Date: Fri, 18 May 90 11:31:30 EDT (25 lines)
From: DUSKNOX@IDBSU (Skip Knox)
Subject: Electronic Atlas

(2) Date: Fri, 18 May 90 11:36:10 EDT (26 lines)
From: elli%ikaros@husc6.BITNET (Elli Mylonas)

(3) Date: Sat, 19 May 90 12:35:54 EDT (71 lines)
From: TEBRAKE@MAINE (William H. TeBrake)
Subject: computer maps

Date: Fri, 18 May 90 11:31:30 EDT
From: DUSKNOX@IDBSU (Skip Knox)

The messages about the availability of computer maps are correct but
don't tell the whole story. Yes there are collections of maps available
(the ones that are free are generally not as good, but there are some
commercial ones that are stinkers, too), but not one fits the needs of a
historian.

Many collections, for example, show political boundaries but not
geographical features such as rivers. The better ones do, and the best
ones treat the geographical features as objects separate from political
boundaries and thus can be removed and added at will. All collections,
of course, show _modern_ political boundaries, which is not much use to
a European historian. This is why the best deal is a draw program that
sells a supplemental library of clip art (I like Arts & Letters). But
it's still many, many hours of adding handles and stretching or removing
boundaries to make a map of 13thc France. And for real fun, try the
Holy Roman Empire!

Vector format is generally preferrable to paint, but even here problems
arise. Take shading, for example. It's easy enough to shade the
interior of an object, but very tedious to shade just portions of
objects. With a paint program, it's not hard to indicate the progress
of the Black Death across Europe. With a draw program that same map is
extremely difficult.

I have argued for some time that one reason humanists lag behind the
scientists in the use of computers, both in teaching and research, is
that what we do is so much more sophisticated that what scientists do.
Historical maps are another case in point. All scientists and social
scientists want to do is to display numbers graphically over a map.
Historians, on the other hand, need to be able to do actual cartography.
As yet I've found no product that meets the need satisfactorily.

Skip Knox
Microcomputer Coordinator (cum) Medieval Historian
Boise State University
Boise, Idaho
DUSKNOX@IDBSU