4.0052 Addressing Students (108)

Tue, 15 May 90 17:37:50 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0052. Tuesday, 15 May 1990.

(1) Date: Mon, 14 May 90 17:41:01 EDT (23 lines)
From: matsuba@writer
Subject: Re: 4.0040 Addressing Students (77)

(2) Date: 14 May 90 17:54:31 EST (31 lines)
From: James O'Donnell <JODONNEL@PENNSAS>
Subject: nomenclature

(3) Date: Mon, 14 May 90 15:35 PDT (24 lines)
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@UCLAMVS.BITNET>

(4) Date: Mon, 14 May 90 19:59:49 EST (20 lines)
From: Stephen Clausing <SCLAUS@YALEVM>
Subject: not addressing students

(5) Date: 05/14/90 22:27:00 (10 lines)
From: Tzee Zahavy <MAIC@UMINN1>
Subject: Student names

Date: Mon, 14 May 90 17:41:01 EDT(5) (13 lines)
From: matsuba@writer

Writing as a graduate student who moved from a rather formal department
to a much more informal one, I find that using first or second names
really depends on what is more comfortable for the person being
addressed. At the University of British Columbia, it was more or less
expected that you refer to a professor as "Dr." or "Professor"
so-and-so. There were, of course exceptions. At York University, it is
the opposite. It is almost expected that you address profesors by their
first names. Again, with some exceptions.

My way of coping is to address people as "Dr./Professor/Mr./Ms. ______",
and then wait for a response. Usually they will SAY, "NO CEREMONY,
STEPHEN, NO CEREMONY," or they will smile in way that says you did the
right thing.

Stephen Matsuba
York University
Toronto, Canada