4.0038 Students in the classroom; Collaborative writing (29)

Fri, 11 May 90 17:11:46 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0038. Friday, 11 May 1990.

(1) Date: Thu, 10 May 90 17:22:21 EST (14 lines)
From: Stephen Clausing <SCLAUS@YALEVM>
Subject: students

(2) Date: Fri, 11 May 90 08:47:03 EDT (15 lines)
From: pdk@iris.brown.edu (Paul D. Kahn)
Subject: Collaborative writing [eds]

Date: Thu, 10 May 90 17:22:21 EST
From: Stephen Clausing <SCLAUS@YALEVM>

I have never heard a derogatory term for students, but I do remember
seeing once a satire of student excuses called "The Professor's Bill of
Rights." Basically this consisted of axioms such as "I reserve the
right to come to class totally unprepared because I had a bad night last
night." Speaking of malice towards students, I just finished reading my
student evaluations. My favorites this semester were two students who
condemned me for using family names, rather than first names in the
classroom. What students never realize is that I have heard this
complaint ever since I was a first year graduate student, rejected it
then, consider it utterly inane now, and really have no desire to hear
more moral indignation about it year after year. Have I been teaching
too long or does everybody feel this way?