4.0016 Scientific Wordprocessing (87)

Wed, 9 May 90 17:21:20 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0016. Wednesday, 9 May 1990.

(1) Date: Tue, 08 May 90 15:10:55 -0700 (30 lines)
From: ruhleder@sloth.ICS.UCI.EDU
Subject: TeX and LaTeX

(2) Date: Tue, 08 May 90 18:40:14 EDT (18 lines)
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: scientific wordprocessing

(3) Date: Wed, 9 May 90 11:13:58 MDT (39 lines)
From: koontz@alpha.bldr.nist.gov (John E. Koontz)
Subject: Scientific word processing [eds]

Date: Tue, 08 May 90 15:10:55 -0700
From: ruhleder@sloth.ICS.UCI.EDU

TeX is a typesetter's dream: described in the preface to ``The TeXbook''
(by Donald E. Knuth, one of the founders of computer science) as ``... a
new typesetting system intended for the creation of beautiful books---
and especially for books th contain a lot of mathematics.'' It is
DEFINITELY not WYSIWYG, but it truly will transform your manuscript into
``pages whose typographic quality is comparable to that of the world's
finest printer.''

The catch: it's not easy to learn, especially if you are trying to
produce very intricate documents. And forget graphics, unless you
want to torture yourself further by learning ``pic'' or you can afford
a Sun Workstation with suntools (ie. picturetool).

The alternative: LaTeX (billed as ``A Document Preparation System''
with a manual by Leslie Lamport of DEC) is a special version of TeX
which adds a collection of simplified commands. This is what I
have used to prepare formulas for statistics classes, and it does a
good job. I also use it for all my writing.

Note: I don't know what kind of equipment you need; I do know that
there is a program on the Mac called ``textures'' that I believe
converts from ``TeX'' to whatever is on the Mac and back.

Karen Ruhleder