4.0010 Computers: Superstition, Reification, & Stress (79)

Tue, 8 May 90 16:59:24 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0010. Tuesday, 8 May 1990.

(1) Date: Tue, 8 May 90 10:55 EDT (38 lines)
From: John Lavagnino <LAV@brandeis.bitnet>
Subject: Explaining computers

(2) Date: Tue, 08 May 90 14:21:21 CDT (20 lines)
From: "Bill Ball" <C476721@UMCVMB>
Subject: anthropomorphizing machines

(3) Date: 8 May 1990, 16:05:09 EDT (21 lines)
From: FLANNAGA at OUACCVMB
Subject: the cruel joke of the paperless office ... [eds]

Date: Tue, 8 May 90 10:55 EDT
From: John Lavagnino <LAV@brandeis.bitnet>

As a novice, as a systems programmer, as a graduate student in English,
I have never called a computer anything but "it." To think of computers
as people, or as supernatural entities rather than dull mechanisms,
isn't a way of thinking that seems helpful or natural to me---though I
admit I did use to ask people who complained that "it isn't working
right" whether they'd remembered to light the three black candles.

The superstition I evolved to explain computers is the notion of the
Humor Department. I was often struck when working with VAXes how their
software, generally pretty good, would tend to have unaccountable flaws.
An early C compiler from Digital, for example, included a very complete
library of the usual functions found on Unix systems---except for one or
two, and these were ones that amounted to a few lines of code, not
anything fancy. The people who wrote this compiler obviously knew what
they were doing. They couldn't have just forgotten. It would have been
easy to put these functions in. It must be the case, therefore, that
any product Digital develops has to go through the Humor Department
before it is released; and the Humor Department studies the product at
length and decides on one tiny change that can be made that will render
it almost useless.

To my mind, hardware and software do have personality traits, but only
in the same way that writing does: these traits derive from those of the
creator, and the creation doesn't have the ability to go off and develop
on its own. The Humor Department is a comic version of this view---the
"real" reason for these software failings is probably lack of
imagination and the usual resistance to the portability of software; but
no matter what, it's got to be human agency that's behind these things.

(By the way, my theory cannot be applied to other manufacturers without
modification. IBM, for example, does not have a Humor Department,
because the entire corporation is one vast Humor Department.)

John Lavagnino, Brandeis