3.1353 Meta-Discussion: Humanist (26)

Thu, 3 May 90 17:02:35 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1353. Thursday, 3 May 1990.

Date: Wed, 2 May 90 21:31:32 -0400
From: amsler@flash.bellcore.com (Robert A Amsler)
Subject: Commmercials on Humanist

I believe the policy we should follow is not to allow postings which
solicit funds for or associated with the party doing the posting for
the sale of anything. Thus, it would be alright for an uninvolved
party to post an announcement saying that X will or is selling Y; but
X cannot themselves post such a message. This should apply whether
the object being sold is a book, software or whatever. Conferences
and meetings could be exceptions if they are run by professional
societies, but probably not if they are run by industrial
associations. Job announcements or solicitations of employment
probably don't belong on the public list, but I've no objection to
humanist permitting their distribution by access over the listserver.