3.1298 Replies: Serendipity; Massora Goluda; Music Copying (82)

Wed, 18 Apr 90 17:00:38 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1298. Wednesday, 18 Apr 1990.

(1) Date: Tue, 10 Apr 90 10:14:00 EDT (31 lines)
From: P.Burnhill@edinburgh.ac.uk
Subject: Re: 3.1272 serendipity, cont.

(2) Date: Wed, 18 Apr 90 13:57:01 EDT (10 lines)
From: Daniel Boyarin <BOYARIN@TAUNIVM>
Subject: Re: 3.1234 queries

(3) Date: Mon, 16 Apr 90 23:57:38 PST (19 lines)
From: "Garrett H. Bowles" <ghb%sdcarl@UCSD.EDU>
Subject: Re: 3.1283 a garden of queries

(4) Date: Mon, 16 Apr 90 08:17:32 PDT (22 lines)
From: "LC Special Materials" <BM.APX@RLG>
Subject: Re: 3.1283 a garden of queries [eds.]

Date: Tue, 10 Apr 90 10:14:00 EDT
From: P.Burnhill@edinburgh.ac.uk
Subject: Re: 3.1272 serendipity, cont. (76)

Don Spaeth puts up a stoud defence for funding such fundemental research
as plate spinning. Although I am not qualified in that particular field,
I recall student days in the field of penny spinning. This I should
add, has not yet led me to a Nobel prize. However, historians of
science may care to note the apparatus included a wire coat-hanger
bent into a rhombus and dangled from forefinger with the hook at the
bottom. Pennies are then stacked onto the upturned hook of the
coathanger; and the whole thing is swung about the finger with
grace, elegance and skill in judging central-fugal force. Usually
we started with one penny, and then progressed on up to four, five or six.
Historians of science may also note that the ear of George VI was
apparently especially bred for this purpose as this was invariably
the firm foundation of a winning 'fiver', as it was known technically.
The major instructional use for this experiment was that the more pennies,
the more skill was needed in getting out the way of the pennies when
they eventually came off. My flatmate had brought the concept from
Keble College, Oxford so maybe Lou should do some literature search; the
equipment was engineered in West London.
I think waht Don was getting at was the role of imagination in science
and scholarship; the confidence to conceive of entities, relations and forces
beyond existing theory.
Or maybe plate spinning is how Stanford interpret Blue Skies research!
:-))
Peter