3.1282 preparation of e-texts (176)

Mon, 9 Apr 90 22:26:33 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1282. Monday, 9 Apr 1990.

(1) Date: Sat, 7 Apr 90 13:34:20 EDT (31 lines)
From: "Michael S. Hart" <HART@UIUCVMD>
Subject: Re: 3.1270 scanning and correcting (109)

(2) Date: Sat, 7 Apr 90 18:39:02 EDT (33 lines)
From: Robert Hollander <bobh@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>
Subject: Re: 3.1278 correcting and scanning (70)

(3) Date: Sat, 07 Apr 90 21:24 CST (66 lines)
From: Alvin Snider <ASNIDEPD@UIAMVS>
Subject: correcting the e-text

(4) Date: Mon, 9 Apr 90 15:29:07 EDT (20 lines)
From: "Michael S. Hart" <HART@UIUCVMD>

Date: Sat, 7 Apr 90 13:34:20 EDT
From: "Michael S. Hart" <HART@UIUCVMD>

re BobH

How long is the shortest of the six commentaries remaining to be proofread
in English? I will see if some of the Project Gutenberg people would read
it a few times each for you. (This is contrary to our stated policy: the
primary purpose of Project Gutenberg is the creation and distribution of a
set of etexts made from original works - not of commentaries).

re Amsler

I renew my comment that 99% of the work should not be undertaken to assist
1% of the user population, who will want works they can read and search in
Word, WordPerfect, WordStar, LIST, etc.

re the comment on scanning taking longer than typing.

I would suggest you contact the manufacturer of your hardware and software.
Cheap ($2,000) scanners and ($800) software have been available for several
years, which yield a time factor of 10% of what it took to do typing; while
we usually refrain from recommending hardware publicly, we have had a MAJOR
success with Apple scanners (we use a flatbed SCSI on a Mac), with OmniPage
and TextPert software for quite some time now. The time when keyboarding a
text could compete with scanning and proofreading, passed several years ago
when these products first entered the market. As with all such innovations
it will take a little time before everyone can use them efficiently. Would
anyone who is unhappy with their scanning be willing to have the equipment,
and work, take a place at Project Gutenberg? Michael S. Hart