3.1258 desktop publishing; mss. software (57)

Wed, 4 Apr 90 21:10:49 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1258. Wednesday, 4 Apr 1990.

(1) Date: Wed, 4 Apr 90 16:02:18 PDT (29 lines)
From: hcf1dahl@UCSBUXA.BITNET
Subject: Laserwriters vs. typesetting

(2) Date: Tue, 3 Apr 90 09:14:00 EDT (8 lines)
From: PETERR@VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK
Subject: RE: 3.1249 software for mss. (18)

Date: Wed, 4 Apr 90 16:02:18 PDT
From: hcf1dahl@UCSBUXA.BITNET

Yes, you can do a complete job of preparing camera-ready
copy with a PC, a laser printer, and a desktop publishing
program. However, although image files can be scanned and
reproduced with satisfactory results, the results obtained
with scanning of photographs are not too successful. Many
will prepare everything but the photographs on the PC and
then add the photographs with traditional halftone techniques.
I would still do as much as possible on the PC rather than
sending it out to a typesetter.

The primary limitation on desktop publishing at the moment
is the 300 dot per inch resolution of the typical laser
printer. This is far short of the resolution of a typesetter
at 1200 to 2400 dots per inch. Still, for many purposes it is
quite satisfactory. If necessary, the output of a desktop
publishing program can always be set out for printing on a
typesetter.

Regards,

Eric Dahlin
Humanities Computing Facility