3.1178 microfilm->disk; Jewish mysticism; Nexis/Lexis (114)

Fri, 16 Mar 90 20:50:38 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1178. Friday, 16 Mar 1990.

(1) Date: Fri, 16 Mar 90 11:20:51 EST (23 lines)
From: lesk@thunder.bellcore.com (Michael E Lesk)
Subject: microfilm -> disk

(2) Date: Thu, 15 Mar 90 21:01:34 EST (16 lines)
From: cbf@faulhaber.Berkeley.EDU (Charles Faulhaber)
Subject: Re: 3.1176 microfilm -> disk? (21)

(3) Date: Fri, 16 Mar 90 12:03:21 GMT (7 lines)
From: stephen clark <AP01@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK>
Subject: jewish mysticism

(4) Date: Thu, 15 Mar 90 09:25:55 PST (39 lines)
From: kantere%biznet%ucsd.edu@Sdsc.BITnet
Subject: Nexis and Lexis

Date: Fri, 16 Mar 90 11:20:51 EST
From: lesk@thunder.bellcore.com (Michael E Lesk)

Somebody apparently wrote asking about transferring microfilm
to computer image. There are two vendors that I know of

(1) Mekel Engineering, 714-594-5158, sells a roll microfilm scanner
that will do about 2 seconds per image. I run it directly to a Sun
using an interface from Improvision, 415-653-5335. It costs $50K.
Mekel can probably point you to somebody who will do the job as a
service bureau.

(2) Downing Data, 212-929-4865, is a scanning service using their
own hardware. RTThey'll probably charge about 20 cents per image or
so to do the scanning, but you should get a quote from them.

I hope that the requestor has some conception of the storage volume
involved: a reel of microfilm can have up to 4000 images (although 1000
is typical) and each image, if it was dense printing to begin with, is
going to be a few hundred Kbyte even after compression. So his twenty
reels will become 4 Gbyte of storage.

Michael Lesk