3.1163 electronic communication, cont. (73)

Sun, 11 Mar 90 22:32:09 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1163. Sunday, 11 Mar 1990.

(1) Date: 10 March 1990, 12:00:30 EDT (16 lines)
From: FLANNAGA at OUACCVMB
Subject: artefacts vs. tools, books and electronic texts

(2) Date: Sat, 10 Mar 90 10:15:56 PST (39 lines)
From: MHEIM@CALSTATE
Subject: Sociolingists look at email

Date: 10 March 1990, 12:00:30 EDT
From: FLANNAGA at OUACCVMB

Some books are holy, some are precious, some are beautiful--they are not
dead things but represent the spirits of authors, editors, compositors,
publishers, former readers. Enemies of civilization like Hitler burned
them, but most humanists spend their lives trying to preserve and value
and nurture them, without making a fetish out of them. Electronic texts
are still tools rather than artefacts. They may help preserve the text
of the 1667 first edition of *Paradise Lost* but they do not replace the
precious book. Until they reach paper, electronic texts are just little
doo-dahs of data that can be erased by a nearby magnet. Roy Flannagan
(I intend no disrespect for a medium that is ideal for the quick
transmission of ideas or the even quicker searching or seeking meaning
from huge amounts of data.)