3.1147 e-texts (164)

Thu, 8 Mar 90 21:15:00 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1147. Thursday, 8 Mar 1990.

(1) Date: Wed, 7 Mar 90 20:10:19 EST (20 lines)
From: Asher B Samuels <abs@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu>
Subject: e-texts just can't replace the old thing

(2) Date: Wed, 07 Mar 90 15:34 CST (55 lines)
From: <ASNIDEPD@UIAMVS>
Subject: shock of the e-text

(3) Date: 8 March 1990 (39 lines)
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: change, but still a mixed bag

(4) Date: Thu, 8 Mar 90 19:00 EST (20 lines)
From: <BYNUM@CTSTATEU>
Subject: ETEXTS NOT THE SAME

Date: Wed, 7 Mar 90 20:10:19 EST
From: Asher B Samuels <abs@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu>

As both a Computer Science major at Columbia University and a Talmud
major at the Jewish Theological Seminary of America, I am stuck between
both positions on this issue. While the computer is useful for many
tasks, such as preparing a concordance, comparing two difering versions
of a text, etc., There are some things it just can't do. The most
important of these, at least in Talmud, is a sense of revrence. You
just can't really get a sense of a CD-ROM disk as holy. I guess in
English Lit. a similar problem would occur, in that a manuscript just
isn't the same when its an image on a screen.

As a side note, I guess this is why, in an era of Stereo VCRs, etc.
people still go to the movies.

Asher Samuels
abs@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu