3.1108 books on disk (37)

Tue, 27 Feb 90 19:32:17 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1108. Tuesday, 27 Feb 1990.

Date: Fri, 23 Feb 90 11:56:21 CST
From: "Michael S. Hart" <HART@UIUCVMD>
Subject: Books on disk

[Mr. Hart has asked that I republish this note, which he regards as
having been improperly buried amidst some others of different subject.
--W.M.]

I note most of the discussion involves books with accompanying disks.
It does not seem clear whether the disks are an extension of the books
or an exact copy.

At the libraries I work with, the book are available on disk, and all
the students and staff have to do is bring a floppy and copy the files
to take back to their own machines for research. The licenses include
use by all members of the college and the price breaks down to between
a penny and a dime per student for the complete works of Shakespeare.

Thank you for your interest,

Michael S. Hart, Director, Project Gutenberg
National Clearinghouse for Machine Readable Texts

BITNET: HART@UIUCVMD INTERNET: HART@VMD.CSO.UIUC.EDU
(*ADDRESS CHANGE FROM *VME* TO *VMD* AS OF DECEMBER 18!!**)
(THE GUTNBERG SERVER IS LOCATED AT GUTNBERG@UIUCVMD.BITNET)