3.1095 electronic texts (172)

Mon, 26 Feb 90 08:10:55 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1095. Monday, 26 Feb 1990.

(1) Date: Thu, 22 Feb 90 17:11 EST (59 lines)
From: <NEUMAN@GUVAX>
Subject: Georgetown Catalog of Projects in Electronic Text

(2) Date: Fri, 23 Feb 90 11:56:21 CST (23 lines)
From: "Michael S. Hart" <HART@UIUCVMD>
Subject: Books on disk

(3) Date: Fri, 23 Feb 90 10:00 CST (65 lines)
From: John Baima <D024JKB@UTARLG>
Subject: RE: Annotated e-texts, retrieval

Date: Thu, 22 Feb 90 17:11 EST
From: <NEUMAN@GUVAX>

In a recent posting on HUMANIST, Bob Kraft generously
mentioned Georgetown's project of maintaining a catalogue
of archives and projects in machine-readable text.
Because he suggested that a progress report would be
welcome, I've compiled the following brief sketch.

Since April of 1989 we have gathered information (in
varying degrees of completeness) on 274 projects in
twenty-five different countries. Of these projects, 82
emphasize linguistics and language study, while 192 focus
on other disciplines in the humanities.

Arranged in geographical order, the entries contain ten
categories of information:
1. Identifying Acronym
2. Name and Affiliation of Operation
3. Contact Person
4. Disciplinary Interests
5. Focus (period, location, individual, or genre)
6. Language(s) Encoded
7. Intended Use
8. Format
9. Forms of Access
10. Source(s) of Archival Holdings

Because of the flow of correspondence and the lag time
in updating entries, the information is always in a state
of flux; therefore, we have been reluctant to distribute
obsolescent drafts of the catalogue. Nevertheless, Jean
Feerick, our Project Coordinator, responds directly to
inquiries about archives or disciplines on which we have
information, and we are constructing a database that will
support dial-in, on-line access.

We're grateful for the on-going support we've received
from Bob Kraft (who provided the initial vision and the
original data for the project), Marianne Gaunt and Bob
Hollander of the Rutgers-Princeton Project (a major
source of information about specific texts in electronic
form), Lou Burnard of the Oxford Text Archive (the
primary repository of etexts in the humanities), Ian
Lancashire and Willard McCarty for the valuable
information in the Humanities Computing Yearbook, and the
many project directors who have responded to our surveys
and follow-up letters. A complete account of our
indebtedness would require a separate file on the
listserv.

Michael Neuman
Georgetown Center for Text and Technology
Georgetown University
Washington, DC 20057
(202) 687-6096
neuman@guvax.bitnet