3.1059 Internetting outside N. America (90)

Mon, 26 Feb 90 07:59:55 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1091. Monday, 26 Feb 1990.

(1) Date: Fri, 23 Feb 90 11:11 GMT (27 lines)
From: Oxford Text Archive <ARCHIVE@VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK>
Subject: telnet on the internet

(2) Date: 23 February 90, 22:12:21 EMT (28 lines)
From: Knut Hofland +47 5 212954/55/56 FAFKH at NOBERGEN
Subject: RE: 3.1088, Telnet from Europe to NA

(3) Date: Mon, 26 Feb 90 07:32 O (10 lines)
From: F12016@BARILAN.BITNET
Subject: TELNET OUTSIDE NA

Date: Fri, 23 Feb 90 11:11 GMT
From: Oxford Text Archive <ARCHIVE@VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK>

Yes, us funny old Europeans do have access to the INTERNET. JANET
users can get an account at UCL.CS.NSS, log onto that and just
type TELNET to connect to any US site in so-called real-time. (I say
so-called because the response is sometimes a bit jerky). Getting
an account at UCL involves sending a request to LIAISON@uk.ac.ucl.cs.nss
and filling in the form they send back. You have to make a fairly good
case. On the other hand, it *doesnt cost any money* - so far. There
was a good deal of bickering some time ago about who was picking up
the bill - originally it was the D o D (maybe they thought it would
help StarWars) - now I believe the British Dept of Education & Science
(the ministry responsible for provision of academic computing facilities)
is actually paying.

The main problem is getting information about addresses. The TELNET
implementation at UCL has only a few names in its address book, so you
need to know the numbers. Did someone already post where an uptodate
address list could be obtained from? if so, I missed it.

I should say that there may well be other routes into the INTERNET.
An enquiry to your local comms person should help.

Lou Burnard