3.1085 lost mail, etc. (41)

Thu, 22 Feb 90 21:08:43 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1085. Thursday, 22 Feb 1990.

Date: 22 February 1990
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Oi moi, mail lost! other editorializings

Dear Colleagues:

Because of a very peculiar failure of software on my mainframe system,
some messages sent to me, directly or through Humanist, may have been
lost. These would have arrived here sometime between the early evening
of 20 February and about the same time on 21 February. So, if you sent
something for which you expected a response and have not yet seen any,
please resend. My apologies on behalf of the software.

As a fellow Humanist pointed out to me, you cannot control the form of
your address when you send an interactive command to ListServ or issue a
command by inserting it into a regular piece of e-mail. If you are
unsuccessful in commanding ListServ, e.g. to REVIEW HUMANIST or fetch
some file from the server, you should, however, compare your address as
given to you with the one ListServ knows. If there is ANY difference,
then you certainly may ask me to change ListServ's notion of your userid
and nodename. Any such difference will cause ListServ, simple-minded as
it is, to reject your command.

With regards to my resignation as editor of Humanist, please rest
assured that a proper succession is being arranged. I wasn't just crying
wolf. The wolf is indeed here, and soon you will be able to admire her
beauty and be inspired by the timbre of her growl.

Yours, Willard McCarty