3.1046 choice of a system (26)

Tue, 13 Feb 90 20:46:49 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1046. Tuesday, 13 Feb 1990.

Date: Mon, 12 Feb 90 22:51:42 EST
From: Norman Zacour <ZACOUR@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Choosing a computer system

Halio's article has generated much very warm talk about choosing
this or that computer system as a function of what - ways of
perception? In the past five or six years I have watched about
30 people choose computers - not one of them did so by comparing
Mac or IBM compatible. Rather, they were introduced to one or the
other (never both) by some friend or colleague. It's like choosing
the language you speak; it depends on which mother the good lord gives
you. This is not usually in one's own hands, or depends on one's
spatial or verbal skills. But I have also noticed in a very
few cases where a novice meets with both before making any heavy
commitment, that she or he might move from IBM compatible to Mac. I
have never seen a novice go the other way. I wonder why not.