3.1021 Library software for Mac? Mac in Europe? (61)

Thu, 8 Feb 90 21:30:29 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1021. Thursday, 8 Feb 1990.

(1) Date: Thu, 8 Feb 90 18:45 N (26 lines)
From: <PU6MI6Q5@ICINECA2>
Subject: Request for Info

(2) Date: Thu, 8 Feb 90 15:58:34 PST (16 lines)
From: hcf1dahl@UCSBUXA.BITNET
Subject: Computers & Europe

Date: Thu, 8 Feb 90 18:45 N
From: <PU6MI6Q5@ICINECA2>

This is an urgent request regarding library software for Macs. I work in
a small research lab, which has a large variety of material to classify.
Previously we used Hypercard to do all the cataloging, but it is very
slow and top-heavy for doing searches. We would like some software
which is less CPU intensive, can easily dump a galley report in ASCII
for use by other programs and for other conversions in the future, and
yet can permit searches by title, author, subject, technical report,
internal communication, memo, other media, etc. Most of our machinery
are Macs, but we have a PC and Unix world (Suns) as well. We are
looking to devote one microcomputer to this problem (for a library from
500-1000 items). Does anyone know of good software which will do the
trick, and requires the minimum of personnel overhead (ie. just data
entry)? Thanks to all who respond (either to HUMANIST or myself
directly. I cannot respond regularly, but I will be collecting the data
that I see.

-Joe Giampapa
pu6mi6q5@icineca2.bitnet
DIDA*EL