3.1010 Searcher 2.0; UK job advert (153)

Tue, 6 Feb 90 19:44:05 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1010. Tuesday, 6 Feb 1990.

(1) Date: Tue, 6 Feb 90 08:50:19 PST (111 lines)
From: 6500rms@UCSBUXA.BITNET

(2) Date: Tue, 6 Feb 90 17:15 GMT (23 lines)
From: Simon Rae <COM3RAE@TRENT.AC.UK>
Subject: job advert for the UK.

Date: Tue, 6 Feb 90 08:50:19 PST
From: 6500rms@UCSBUXA.BITNET

Dear Humanists,
I would like to announce the release of Searcher 2.0, a
program which provides basic access to the Greek texts on the TLG
CD-ROM #C and the Latin texts of the CCAT/PHI CD. It provides
search, browse, and offload capability for these two CD's as well
as searching for the PHI CD-ROM #2, the Duke Data Bank of
Documentary Papyri.
I have appended a copy of our flyer, which gives more
details, hardware requirements, and ordering information. This
is not a public domain or shareware program; it is copyrighted by
the Regents of the University of California. Searcher is the
product of academic research and is provided to others to aid
with their research. The program includes source code so that
changes can be made to the system. If anyone is interested in
obtaining a copy, please let me know.

Randall M. Smith
6500rms@ucsbuxa.bitnet

SEARCHER 2.0
by
Randall M. Smith, Mark D. Smith and Darl J. Dumont
Original BROWSER written by Tony Smith

Description

SEARCHER is a program for IBM compatible computers running
MS-DOS which performs word searches through the texts on the TLG
CD-ROM #C, the PHI/CCAT CD-ROM #1, and the PHI CD-ROM #2. The
program is composed of two principal parts: a section which
searches the texts and a section which allows one to browse
through the texts. The search portion performs a linear search
through the text files looking for occurrences of the specified
string. There is no morphological parsing, so specific forms
which do not share a common stem, especially in the case of
verbs, must be entered separately. Up to three words may be
combined in a Boolean search expression. AND, OR, and NOT
operations are supported, and the range of the Boolean operation
can be specified. Searcher also alows access to the global
indices on the TLG CD-ROM #C. The browse portion of the program
allows one to read the texts, starting either from the beginning
of a work or from the location of a word which was found by the
search portion of the program. Additionally, any portion of the
text may be placed in a file or printed. The supported formats
and devices are listed below. Lists of authors and words may be
entered so that extensive searches may be left running
unattended.
The source code is included so that changes and additions
can be made. Except for the actual text scanning routine, which
is written in Assembly Language, the entire program is written in
C. We used the Microsoft C Compiler 5.0 to compile the program,
but it should be adaptable to other compilers. I do ask that any
changes be sent to me so that others may benefit from these
improvements. Many of the changes in this new version of
Searcher are based on suggestions sent by people using the
program for their own research. We will try to fix any problems
which are brought to our attention.

Hardware Requirements

The program should work on any IBM compatible computer, but
the best performance is obtained on a high speed 80286 or 80386
computer. A hard disk is required due to the size of the output
files which are generated by searches for common words. Searchernow uses a Gra
following graphics systems: Hercules Monochrome, EGA color, or
VGA color (including PS/2 video adapters). In addition, 640K of
RAM is required. A mouse is strongly recommended but not
required. The program can output Greek for the Toshiba 321/351
printer family and for the Nota Bene Special Languages
Supplement. Other formats can be added by editing the code in a
translation table and recompiling the program, but we have no
plans to include other equipment. The program will also output
TLG Beta Code which can then be converted by any program designed
to work with Beta Code. Any CD player which has a High Sierra
device driver should work with the program. (N.B. I have heard
that some 80386 AT compatible computers have trouble running the
Microsoft CD-ROM Extensions, especially with Hitachi CD drives.
If you can run Microsoft Bookshelf or Programmer's Library then
you can use this program.) The newer CD players are much faster
and will give much better performance. Searcher also allows text
files to be copied to the hard disk for faster searching.

Ordering Information

This is not a commercial venture. This program is a product
of research at the University of California at Santa Barbara, and
copies are provided to others to assist in their research. A
copy of Searcher may be ordered from the address below. (N.B.
The TLG has requested that you not order from them directly.)
Please specify disk size (3.5" or 5.25"). Please send $10 US to
cover the cost of disks, copying charges, and postage
(unfortunately, we are not able to accept purchase orders or
credit card numbers). Checks (US funds drawn on a US bank) or
International Money Orders should be made payable to: Department
of Classics, University of California at Santa Barbara. To order
a copy of the program or for further information, please contact
me at the following address:

Randall M. Smith
Department of Classics
University of California