3.1005 humans and computers, cont. (68)

Mon, 5 Feb 90 20:52:55 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1005. Monday, 5 Feb 1990.

(1) Date: Fri, 2 Feb 90 15:32:00 EST (15 lines)
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@OAC.UCLA.EDU>
Subject: Re: 3.992 being human with computers, cont. (30)

(2) Date: Sat, 3 Feb 90 10:00:00 EST (12 lines)
From: EIEB360@UTXVM
Subject: 3.997 humans and computers, cont

(3) Date: Mon, 05 Feb 90 11:58:00 GMT (16 lines)
From: Donald Spaeth 041 339-8855 x6336 <GKHA13@CMS.GLASGOW.AC.UK>
Subject: De-humanizing computers

Date: Fri, 2 Feb 90 15:32:00 EST
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@OAC.UCLA.EDU>

Well professor S., they now have spelling checkers, which should heop
them learn to spell abit, but they dont seem to think that precision
is demanded in language and its mechanics, whereas in this culture, as
I tell them, it seems much to matter how the foot is placed in the
starting block, how the pole is held, the bat is held, the racquet is
held, the stroke is made. They are experts in being coached for the
right moves in sports, but have contempt for the eye hand and ear, and
the history of our strange orthography, which is no harder to learn than
long division if it is taught from childhood on. I pity them only if
they are dyslectical, and then is lexical? and then there is a reason,
the hard wiring is crossed. Kessler