3.970 e-addresses; e-resources (85)

Mon, 29 Jan 90 19:48:46 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 970. Monday, 29 Jan 1990.

(1) Date: Monday, 29 January 1990 0933-EST (41 lines)
From: KRAFT@PENNDRLS
Subject: Electronic Addresses

(2) Date: Mon, 29 Jan 90 13:54 CST (13 lines)
From: A10PRR1@NIU
Subject: E-mail addresses

(3) Date: Sun, 28 Jan 90 20:57:00 EST (7 lines)
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@OAC.UCLA.EDU>
Subject: Re: 3.960 OCR software? French e-dictionary? (49)

Date: Monday, 29 January 1990 0933-EST
From: KRAFT@PENNDRLS

The following situation with regard to electronic addresses
may be relevant for some other HUMANISTs. It took some effort
to identify the problem, so I pass the results along.

The facility I use for BITNET at the University of Pennsylvania
is CMS or some variation thereof (IBM mainframe). The mailer
system in use gives such information as "From" and "To" with
each incoming message, and seems to reproduce appropriately
the "From" address, including distinctions of upper and
lower case. The mailer for outgoing mail, however, seems
automatically to change all "To" addresses to upper case,
even if I type them in with mixed case, or in lower case.
Thus when I received a note from Joel Goldfield with the
"From" address of unhd!psc90!jdg@uunet.UU.NET,
when I tried to reply to that address, the software in
use for mailers in my computer center changed the address
to all upper case thus: UNHD!PSC90!JDG@UUNET.UU.NET.
Usually such a change makes no difference in the
operation of electronic mail, but there are some
systems that are "case sensitive" with regard to
addresses. My message to Joel was rejected. After some
investigation and testing (using another, not case
sensitive address that Joel has), the problem was
identified as the change from lower to upper case in
some of the components of his address -- psc90 and
perhaps also jdg needed to be lower case. The solution
was for me manually to change back to lower case those
parts of the address that the software had made into
upper case. Then the messages got through.

I would be interested to know if it is possible to
predict from the "From" address whether case sensitivity
is an issue. I suspect that addresses using "!" as a
separator on the left side of the "@" may be problems
in this regard. Advice?

Bob Kraft