3.961 MLA (22)

Thu, 25 Jan 90 22:23:59 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 961. Thursday, 25 Jan 1990.

Date: Thu, 25 Jan 90 02:49:38 EST
From: bobh@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Robert Hollander)
Subject: Re: 3.957 call for papers: MLA 1990 (62)

No longer a member of MLA, I find myself wondering that this profession
is willing to go along with the exclusionary rules and procedures of
that august organization. I can only imagine the hue and cry if NEH
were to require membership in a National Humanities Society, even with
dues considerably less dear that MLA's, before individuals were allowed
to participate in NEH-sponsored conferences. I have raised this issue
over the past few years with various MLA directors, presidents, and
other honchos. Their withers are unwrung. Such taxation seems to me
tyrannical. See you elsewhere. There must be a better way.....