3.955 support: dead Mac reborn! (36)

Wed, 24 Jan 90 20:00:42 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 955. Wednesday, 24 Jan 1990.

Date: Wed, 24 Jan 90 09:00:00 EST
From: EIEB360@UTXVM
Subject: Dead Mac story has happy ending

A postscript to my woeful tale about my dead Mac: it's back! live and
working and on my desk! A renewed request, this time to a new
department head, did the trick. But, happy as I am to have my beloved
machine back again, and pleased as I am that the new Chair was willing
to approve the expenditure (it turned out to be $217.53 for a new analog
board and labor), the basic situation remains unchanged: as the Chair
put it to me, "Well, hell, there's no way we're going to make it to May
on this money anyway, might as well spend it now." And the same day he
approved the money to fix the Mac, the controller card on the fileserver
for our classroom network failed, minutes before the first class of the
day (with five more scheduled to follow)-- and there was no one in the
Department office to approve the $140 with which to purchase a new one:
so a colleague and I climbed into his car (I'm visually impaired and
don't drive) and went to The Computer Doctor and bought, on my credit
card, a controller card and installed it in the server. We only lost
one class, therefore, and it will only be a few weeks till I get my $140
back... All thanks to my colleague Jim Kinneavy as well: it was above
and beyond the call for him to run me out to the store that rainy
morning. And two more of our five-year-old EGA monitors failed that
morning as well, and we've none left to shift around. So the Mac story,
seen as a self-contained little episode, has had a happy ending; but the
general story continues.
John Slatin