3.950 teaching humanities computing (41)

Fri, 19 Jan 90 22:36:17 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 950. Friday, 19 Jan 1990.

Date: Fri, 19 Jan 90 07:20:36 EST
From: Thomas Zielke <113355@DOLUNI1>
Subject: Re: 3.900 instruction?

RE: Instruction

Dear John Sandys-Wunsch,

I do not know how much time you have to teach the varieties of
computing, so I wouldn't know whether my ideas can be included
in your curriculum, but anyway:

1) How about graphic data processing (business-style charts, maps etc.)?

2) And have you thought of statistical packages (SPSS, SPSS-PC)?

3) Would you also teach DOS-Utilities like PC-TOOLS or the Norton Utils.?

4) More advanced Humanists could also be shown the possibilities of TeX,
AutoCAD, Fortran (never mind how often you hear that Fortran is dead,
it's a good introduction to programming anyway...), C, Lisp etc., but
that would be dependent of what your students will like to hear.

I hope that I could help you a bit with my suggestions, but I'm sure that
you will be flooded with other ideas as well...

Yours

Thomas Zielke