3.942 network charging? e-journals? initiation? (88)

Thu, 18 Jan 90 21:43:56 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 942. Thursday, 18 Jan 1990.

(1) Date: Thu, 18 Jan 90 12:11:33 EST (25 lines)
From: STAIRS@vm.epas.utoronto.ca
Subject: Network Charging

(2) Date: Thu, 18 JAN 90 16:32:40 GMT (19 lines)
From: AEB_BEVAN@VAX.ACS.OPEN.AC.UK
Subject: Back messages on e-journals bundled into file?

(3) Date: 17 January 1989 (20 lines)
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: initiation?

Date: Thu, 18 Jan 90 12:11:33 EST
From: STAIRS@vm.epas.utoronto.ca

Fellow Humanists,

Greetings! I am wondering if anyone out there knows of some software
that we could use to keep track of pages printed on a Novell network?
We have a lab for students to use. We provide both dot-matrix and laser
printers for their use. Currently we only charge for the laser
printers. These involves a member of the staff counting sheets of
paper, then loaning out the paper tray with X sheets. When the student
brings the tray back they pay for how much they have printed. I recall
accounting facilities on mainframes keeping track of the number of pages
printed, and charging accounts accordingly. Does anyone know if an
equivalent utility is available for PC networks (especially Novell)? It
seems a terrible waste of staff time carrying on the way we have in the
past. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Michael Stairs
Site Coordinator
Centre for Computing in the Humanities
University of Toronto