3.925 support (110)

Thu, 11 Jan 90 21:40:45 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 925. Thursday, 11 Jan 1990.

(1) Date: Thu, 11 Jan 90 09:48:19 CST (25 lines)
From: Norman Hinton <SSUBIT12@UIUCVMD>
Subject: supporting computers: supporting scholarship

(2) Date: Thu, 11 Jan 90 10:00:00 EST (45 lines)
From: EIEB360@UTXVM
Subject: 3.922 freebies, cont. (161)

(3) Date: Thu, 11 Jan 90 12:35:10 EST (17 lines)
From: cbf@faulhaber.Berkeley.EDU (Charles Faulhaber)
Subject: Re: 3.922 freebies, cont. (161)

Date: Thu, 11 Jan 90 09:48:19 CST
From: Norman Hinton <SSUBIT12@UIUCVMD>

My school seems to be backwards in various ways. I have a University
computer at home for my research, and our Department has its own PC,
which has never lacked for equipment and repair support. Our Dean
has set up a very good desk-top publishing room, available to anyone
on the faculty, with a 386 machine, a laser printer, and Ventura.

Sigh. However, I was asked to become the editor of the newsletter for
a well-established medieval organization. We have all the computer
equipment we need for it: the University would have to pay a few hundred
dollars for mailing the newsletter. At its previous school, the editor
was given released time (we call it Non-Instructional Assignments) to
do the job: I agreed not to ask for any such thing. BUT the University
Administration informed me that it did not regard such activities as
useful to the school and therefore could not allocate any funds for
folding/mailing/paper etc.

The only moral I can draw from this is that they will get you one way
or another: if it isn't the equipment, it's something else.

Heigh-ho: if University teaching didn't exist, it would be impossible
to invent it as it is.....