3.915 Bloom et al., silence, the medium itself (131)

Tue, 9 Jan 90 21:41:18 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 915. Tuesday, 9 Jan 1990.

(1) Date: Tue, 9 Jan 90 00:16:00 EST (31 lines)
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@OAC.UCLA.EDU>
Subject: Re: 3.908 Bloom, Hirsch, and noisy English (135)

(2) Date: Tue, 9 Jan 90 11:00:00 EST (26 lines)
From: EIEB360@UTXVM
Subject: 3.901 the silence of English (96

(3) Date: 9 January 1989 (49 lines)
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: speechworthy silence

Date: Tue, 9 Jan 90 00:16:00 EST
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@OAC.UCLA.EDU>

About this Bloom thing. "Reactionary"? As Lenin wrote, "Who, Whom?"
Bloom seems to have been terribly traumatized by the gun-toters at
Cornell when he was the re, away back in the delightful '60's. He
writes all about the craven capitulation of the Administration to
agitprop theater, though the guns may well have been loaded. I wonder
how many of those who consider Bloom "marginalized" in the Academy
actually bought and read his collected essays, which he made into a
best-selling, to his great surprise, book? The Leftists and Rightist of
the 80's are a generation behind the world in their politics. As a
friend of mine, not an academic, remarked on the phone to me last week,
all her Leftist, that is unregenerate Stalinoidal friends, rather
regret the phenomenon of Gorbachev! They cannot understand how and why
the KGB has taken over the positions of the dissenters. As right now
in Romania. The luxury of silliness is a treasure, I suppose, of this
hemisphere's Humanist academy. Not that the deans will spring for a
computer to process words for English profs! Unless it is IBM. I am
astonished at the use of the term reactionary for Bloom. I have seen
the attacks on him, by such as Schlesinger in the NY Times, full of
nonsense and bad history and out right fabrications. The reactionaries,
as in Peru, are on the Far Left. Where are all these civil servants
going? Most of us are such, in the State Universities, and thus we are
really bureaucrats, beholden to the public's taxes; but you wouldnt know
it from the outdated ideas most of them exchange here. Kessler at UCLA.
Bloom was and is interested in fine discourse, sharp thinking. The rest
seems to be namecalling. He is in his book simply an essayist; but the
foaming over of the attacks has been incredible. All the kibes that are
galled. Tsk.