3.894 HyperCard stack for phonetics (35)

Tue, 2 Jan 90 20:30:41 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 894. Tuesday, 2 Jan 1990.

Date: Tue, 02 Jan 90 11:22:34 EST
From: STAIRS@vm.epas.utoronto.ca
Subject: IPA Stack

Greetings,

We are developing something that people may be interested in. It is a
Hypercard stack to teach introductory phonetics. Included are a number of
exercises translating from English to phonetic and vice versa. Sound is
included (i.e. click a button and the word to be transcribed is given). The
cards use a number of different formats. We are currently testing it, and
will be using it for a introductory phonetics course in the summer. I plan
to add some sort of font editor/selector, since IPA is not the only choice.
I will also provide an exercise generator, so the instructor can add new
exercises. We will be adding some sort of counter to log the common errors
students make. Potentially students could be given homework assignments
using a modified version of this stack. If anyone is interested, please
contact me for more information.

Michael Stairs
Site Coordinator
Centre for Computing in the Humanities