3.833 copyright, cont. (27)

Wed, 6 Dec 89 20:17:24 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 833. Wednesday, 6 Dec 1989.

Date: Wed, 06 Dec 89 06:45:13 CST
From: "Michael S. Hart" <HART@UIUCVME>
Subject: Re: 3.830 copyright, cont. (25)

re: kessler at ucla

He says that "nothing" involved with the computer world is public domain.
I suppose we should give him time to reconsider, especially in light of a
rash of legal opinions which have been made concerning the non-rights for
those whose only contributions are keying in public domain texts.

I also note his avoidance of dealing with the first Oxford dictionary, of
a century ago, by referring only to the latest OED, which is currently in
discussion as "OED2" and which has not been the subject of these notes.

My comments in this entire copyright discussion have been concerning this
area of public domain texts, and whether or not materials once given that
status can be copyrighted without significant intellectual additions. mh