3.788 Paradigma, recursively viewed (108)

Mon, 27 Nov 89 21:59:58 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 788. Monday, 27 Nov 1989.

Date: Tue, 31 Jan 89 03:56:00 EST
From: Richard Pierce <pierce@rose.uib.uninett>
Subject: Macintosh Program

Below follows some information on a useful Macintosh program which I
have been using for half a year or so to convert and clean up files. It
is simple to use, fast, reliable, and effective. For example, I entered
rules into Paradigm to convert TLG files into SuperGreek and then dumped
them into a HyperCard stack for further manipulation. What follows is
the author's description (which corresponds to my experience):
Paradigma 1.0 is a fast and flexible file converter for the Macintosh.
You can specify up to ten ascii characters to be replaced with any other
ten characters, e g
abc ---> dfg
The program can process a file with a set (a 'paradigm') of up to 100
such rules, depending on memory capacity. Paradigms are stored and
edited within the program, and selected from a menu when you want to use
them again.
The speed is about 150k/min on a Mac+, independent of the # of
rules.
Ascii codes can be specified in square brackets (e g [10] (=
linefeed)).
Unfortunately, no wildcards, due to algorithm
Applications:
Changing codes in a formated text file
(e g Microsoft rtf-format)
Transforming TLG-files to supergreek-compatible text
Converting between Mac and IBM ascii
Removing linefeeds
Cleaning up mailing list files before printing them (by
removing return chars unless they represent end of paragraph
(ie are preceded by a "."
Paradigma is in the public domain, and available on request from
Espen Aarseth
Computer section for the humanities
University of Bergen, Norway
Bitnet: HDBFS@NOBERGEN
Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 548. Tuesday, 31 Jan 1989.