3.760 Sanskrit e-texts; fonts in TUSTEP (109)

Sun, 19 Nov 89 22:23:19 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 760. Sunday, 19 Nov 1989.

(1) Date: Fri, 17 Nov 89 10:03 (37 lines)
From: Wujastyk (on GEC 4190 Rim-D at UCL) <UCGADKW@EUCLID.UCL.AC.UK>
Subject: Sanskrit texts in machine readable form

(2) Date: 19 November 1989 (52 lines)
From: Wilhelm Ott <ZRSZOT1@DTUZDV2>
Subject: re: 3.751 mixing fonts

Date: Fri, 17 Nov 89 10:03
From: Wujastyk (on GEC 4190 Rim-D at UCL) <UCGADKW@EUCLID.UCL.AC.UK>

Several Sanskrit texts are available in machine readable form from the
Oxford Text Archive. These include some passages from Kalidasa's
Kumarasambhava, the Bhagavadgita, the Rgveda and the Brahmapurana.

Prof. P. Schreiner, newly appointed Prof. and head of Sanskrit at Zurich
Univ., has keyed a large number of Sanskrit texts, including the
Visnupurana, parts of Manu, Sakuntala, and several other texts.

A project to create a "Thesaurus Linguae Sanskritae" has been started at
the University of Texas at Austin, under the guidance of Prof. R.
Lariviere. That project hopes to be able to provide machine readable
texts of the Mahabharata and Ramayana in the next year or so.

Prof. R. E. Emmerick, Prof. of Iranian Studies at the Univ. of Hamburg,
is supervising a project to key the major Sanskrit medical
encyclopaedias. I believe Caraka, Susruta, and both the Astangahrdaya
and Astangasamgraha have been done (or are close to completion), and of
course the Siddhasara of Ravigupta.

Other texts are floating around, ususally as the result of indiviual
study. A central clearing house is obviously much needed. One cannot
legislate on these matters, obviously, especially since the efforts are
multinational. But I would suggest that the Oxford Archive and the
Texas project are the two most useful sources of such centralized
information as exists.

Best of luck, and please reciprocate by keeping Oxford and Texas
informed of what you are doing, or what you find.

Dominik