3.740 NB with large files (27)

Sun, 12 Nov 89 17:28:05 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 740. Sunday, 12 Nov 1989.

Date: Sat, 11 Nov 89 18:40:04 CST
From: "Michael S. Hart" <HART@UIUCVME>
Subject: Re: 3.730 NB with large files (131)

This may be due the copying characteristics of DOS. Sometimes the only
way to copy several large files into one larger file is to specify the
/B option after the copy commands. This forces the copy to carried out
as if the files were binary and does not insert EOF markers, etc.

Michael S. Hart, Director, Project Gutenberg
National Clearinghouse for Machine Readable Texts

P.S. We only encountered this with files at least approaching 1 Meg.
and more and more often as we created machine readable copies of
multi-megabyte sized texts. For example we are working on several
dictionaries of the OED and Webster's variety which will be 30-40M
in size. (Estimates that the OED takes over a gigabyte were made by
several notewriters a while back, but were rescinded when calulated.)