3.667 computers, humanism, children, cont. (61)

Mon, 30 Oct 89 20:13:28 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 667. Monday, 30 Oct 1989.

(1) Date: Sun, 29 Oct 89 23:36:00 EST (15 lines)
From: <HALPORNJ@IUBACS>
Subject: And a little child shall lead us

(2) Date: Mon, 30 Oct 89 10:56:43 MDT (27 lines)
From: SKIP KNOX <DUSKNOX@IDBSU>
Subject: 3.658 computers, humanism, and students (164)

Date: Sun, 29 Oct 89 23:36:00 EST
From: <HALPORNJ@IUBACS>

In regard to messages from Willard et al. on children and computers, I
recall years ago when we got our first microcomputer saying to my wife
that we would have been helped immensely if we had gotten with it a
small male child (these days male or female) between 10 and 15. Alas,
we were not so fortunate, and I'm a poor substitute for that. On these
lines, there was an amusing piece on batch files for children in the
computer column of the Chicago Tribune for Sunday Oct. 29. The
author's daughter who learned how to access the game she liked through
her father's writing her a batch file on his hard disk, also added that
now having learned A-Z at school, she had only to learn how to tie her
shoelaces to be finished with school forever.