3.641 Notes and Queries: earthquake report (30)

Wed, 25 Oct 89 17:40:26 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 641. Wednesday, 25 Oct 1989.

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 89 21:22:00 EDT
From: <HALPORNJ@IUBACS>
Subject: Earthquake conditions at Stanford

One of my colleagues has just returned from the meeting of the members of the
Intercollegiate Center at Rome, held last week at Palo Alto. His report of
the conditions at Stanford University after the earthquake may be of some
interest to my fellow humanists. I found none of his news in the NY Times in
the past week or so, because, I suppose, attention has been focussed on
Oakland and San Francisco.
In addition to the closing of some dozen dormitories and serious damage to
the chapel, the chemistry building has been closed because of the chemicals
falling off the laboratory shelves. The most serious problem, however, has
been to the library, which is now closed for the foreseeable future. On every
level there are no books any longer on the shelves, many of which have
themselves collapsed. The librarians will be reshelving the books, but no
attempt will be made to shelve the books in the correct order. Reading of the
shelves will have to wait until all books are off the floors. The chaos of
the next months can only be imagined.
James W. Halporn, Classical Studies/Comparative Literature, Indiana U.,
Bloomington, IN (HALPORNJ@IUBACS).