3.598 hardware in Sweden (38)

Tue, 17 Oct 89 19:41:24 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 598. Tuesday, 17 Oct 1989.

Date: Tue, 17 Oct 89 10:32:54 EDT
From: Jan-Gunnar Tingsell <tingsell@hum.gu.se>
Subject: Hardware outside N America.

Willard,

Here is a response to your question about hardware outside North
America:

What I say here is true for Gothenburg university but I think the
situation is almost the same in all Sweden.

"Ordinary scholars" as well as most graduate researchers and
prefessors are using rather small equipment. IBM (and clones)
8086/8 and some 80286 and Macintosh Plus or SE are the most
common. IBM and Macintosh take roughly 50 percent each of the
"market". Many graduated can also use terminals connected to some
mainframe (IBM, Digital or Data General). Older computers like
Apple II are very rare.

Of course some reasearch project have there own working stations,
SUN or equivalents. But as humanists as well as all the faculty
are very poor, people can just afford very cheap computers.

Yours
Jan-Gunnar Tingsell.