3.576 supercomputing the humanities, cont. (174)

Thu, 12 Oct 89 19:54:38 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 576. Thursday, 12 Oct 1989.

(1) Date: Wed, 11 Oct 89 18:28:56 CDT (39 lines)
From: "Michael S. Hart" <HART@UIUCVME>
Subject: Re: 3.567 supercomputing the humanities, cont. (73)

(2) Date: Wed, 11 Oct 89 22:04:22 EDT (47 lines)
From: amsler@flash.bellcore.com (Robert A Amsler)
Subject: Supercomputers and numbers.

(3) Date: Thu, 12 Oct 89 13:53:00 EDT (38 lines)
From: Tom Thomson <tom@prg.oxford.ac.uk>

(4) Date: Thu, 12 Oct 89 12:27:00 EDT (20 lines)
From: "Vicky A. Walsh" <IMD7VAW@OAC.UCLA.EDU>

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 89 18:28:56 CDT
From: "Michael S. Hart" <HART@UIUCVME>

All computer functions are numeric. However, it *is* true that certain
chips and cards are made expressly for floating point and other types
of calculations. Nevertheless, the price of distributing, creating,
editing, and all the other functions of publication are *ALL* quite
a bit less expensive than the equivalent paper publications.

For the price of any library, an electronic library can be constructed,
complete with backups, terminals, and sufficient portals to release
materials on Mac, IBM, or other media.

A super-library would certainly justify the expense of a super-computer.
I, myself, run our library on a pair of 386s (one is a backup) and SCSI
hard drives which can hold 10G per controller, and multiple controllers
may be installed. While this is super-computer enough for my uses, and
can hold ALL the data collected by ALL the electronic text repositories
of which I am aware, it is NOT the kind of computer I would want to run
the entire library of any major institution.

Michael S. Hart

P.S. Some of you may not realize that the huge mainframe computer that
was used to create the first of the Project Gutenberg texts, had a core
memory of 64K, and a handful of removable 5M drives, and cost $millions
in installation and maintenance. Our current computers require no more
room, no air conditioning, and have between 640K and 8M core memory and
drives as mentioned above. The time interval of this change is not two
decades, and not even half a decade since the acquisition of our IBM-XT
which took us out of the mainframe world. Intel has already released a
spec sheet for the 80787(?) due to be released in the year 2000: which
will contain 4 processors with caches, and will need no math processor.

Enough for now, as someone recently quoted - new ideas do not succeed a
year or a decade earlier by convincing opponents, they succeed because-
and I hesitate here, but don't want to eliminate the punch line of that
quote-the opposition dies off.