3.574 announcements (224)

Thu, 12 Oct 89 19:43:39 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 574. Thursday, 12 Oct 1989.

(1) Date: Wed, 11 Oct 89 15:52 BST (51 lines)
From: Oxford Text Archive <ARCHIVE@VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK>
Subject: new shortlist of the Archive; institutional licencing?

(2) Date: Wed, 11 Oct 89 13:19:20 BST (48 lines)
From: Alan Bundy <bundy@AIPNA.ED.AC.UK>
Subject: RA Post in AI Dept at Edinburgh

(3) Date: Tue, 10 OCT 89 17:31:42 BST (56 lines)
From: SUSAN@UK.AC.OXFORD.VAX
Subject: Call for papers ALLC-ACH90

(4) Date: Thu, 12 Oct 89 16:51:25 CDT (35 lines)
From: "Eric Johnson DSU, Madison, SD 57042" <ERIC@SDNET>
Subject: English Position

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 89 15:52 BST
From: Oxford Text Archive <ARCHIVE@VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK>

News from the Oxford Text Archive

---New catalogue now available---

A new edition of the Text Archive Shortlist is now available. The list
is now being produced using SGML-conformant software, and is therefore
being distributed in tagged form. A brief prefix has been added to the file
explaining the tagging scheme used. The information in the file has been
updated slightly and includes all deposits up to September 1988.

Alan Morrison has started work on updating the Text Archive database with
more detailed information about the texts, in particular their originals
and copyright status. We hope to include this information in the next edition
of the Shortlist.

The new catalogue can be sent by e-mail or downloaded from the fileserver
as usual. In extremis, we can even send you a copy on paper.

[The shortlist is en route from Oxford by e-mail but has not at this
moment been received. When it has been placed on the file-server I will
make the appropriate announcement. --W.M.]

--- Institutional Licencing?-----

Following up a suggestion of Marianne Gaunt's, we are experimenting with
an alternative to our current method of text distribution. The basic idea
is that an institution (for example your local university library or
computer centre) contracts with us to look after a reasonably large number
of texts for local use only. In return for an annual fee (the figure we
are considering is #1000), the institution receives regular updates on what
we have available, and is entitled to order up to (say) 100 Mb of text from
our list annually. Texts must be held centrally in a secure filestore, and a
responsible person from the institution must undertake to control access
to them in line with our usual conditions of use.

It may not be possible, for copyright reasons, to make all the texts in
the Archive available in this way - and clearly we could not do this with
any text without consulting with its depositor. However it offers us
and (we think) the scholarly community several clear advantages.

So far, this remains a largely experimental notion. We are however
currently negotiating with one large US University and a smaller US
private college, both of which have expressed satisfaction with the
proposed arrangements.

The views of Humanists on the matter would be, as ever, of interest
and importance...

Lou Burnard
Alan Morrison