3.551 PostScript font generation (32)

Fri, 6 Oct 89 20:16:25 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 551. Friday, 6 Oct 1989.

Date: Thu, 5 Oct 89 22:11:26 EDT
From: 6vannoot@violet.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: 3.470 PScript fount generation (53)

With the help of a student I have used Publisher's Type
Foundry to produce an acceptable Devanagari Sanskrit
font that works quite well as a screen font and produces
superior printed text on a HP Laserjet II. But I echo
Ms. Glynn's sentiments: the manual needs a great deal of
revision. We started from scratch with an inexpensive
scanner about seven months ago and it has taken all that
time, as well as perhaps 60 calls to the ZSOFT developers
to get to where we are now. They were very helpful, and
on occasion had to rewrite their code to accommodate our
demands. We are now working on a less complicated Hindi
alphabet and my associate has also developed a beautiful
Bengali alphabet. The screen appearance is a little
grainy on a standard EGA board, but should improve if you
invest in a higher resolution monitor. I am also using
Ventura Tips and Trix and find it intractable at best.
I am looking forward to your manual.
Feel free to get in touch with me about specifics. It
is mainly a matter of getting hold of the right filters.