3.491 hanging NB? away doctors? French term? (124)

Mon, 25 Sep 89 22:05:11 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 491. Monday, 25 Sep 1989.

(1) Date: Sun, 24 Sep 89 20:31:25 EDT (64 lines)
From: Eldad Salzmann +972 3 472406 <ELDAD@TAUNIVM>
Subject: Hanging NB; Shortcomings of the ordinary PC

(2) Date: Sun, 24 Sep 89 21:47:00 EDT (29 lines)
From: RHG at PSUVM (Robert H. Gannon)
Subject: Research information source?

(3) Date: Mon, 25 Sep 89 18:44:57 EDT (7 lines)
From: LNGDANAP@UOGUELPH
Subject: translation query

Date: Sun, 24 Sep 89 20:31:25 EDT
From: Eldad Salzmann +972 3 472406 <ELDAD@TAUNIVM>

Recently I've discovered a strange behaviour of NB on a Toshiba 1200
laptop: after a friend of mine stored files written with NB 3.0
and called them back to screen (files which were stored on another day
were called as well), the computer halted and we had to reboot in order
to continue working...

Needless to say, there was nothing to do but to resort to word
processors other than NB. The computer in question is, as I already
noted before, a Toshiba 1200, with 20Meg hard disk and a 3.5" drive,
with a connection to a 5.25" drive. It has 640K of RAM.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem? Willard has mentioned in this
respect NB's inability to define large portions of text. In my opinion
this is indeed related to hanging of the computer from time to time, but
I don't exclude other reasons as well.

Yet, the problem *I* mentioned apparently doesn't stem from this
shortcoming of NB, since it's a matter of even a small file which is
CAlled to screen after it has been STored and from that moment on the
computer is stuck. The problem I was trying to allude to (as I see it)
is related to a "bug", so to speak, which lies with this laptop (Toshiba
1200), and this is what I am trying to verify with the help of other members
of our list.

We can well widen the scope of the discussion to include the question of
how well the ordinary PC is capable of coping with the needs of our daily
programs (programs like NB, WordPerfect etc.) in terms of memory, etc.
We are all aware of DOS's ability to address only 640K of RAM. Has anyone
tried to overcome this barrier? If we are put it bluntly, is there any
"generic" way to make NB or other wordprocessors (or any other program, for
that matter) capable of using extended or expanded memory?

I know Lotus is capable of accessing more than 640K, but as I heard it
is then much slower than when it uses the ordinary maximum portion of
the RAM (i.e. 640K).

I have already read (although I can't remember for sure whether it was on the
NotaBene list as well) about someone who tried to work with Carousel together
with NB and ran into problems (the program got stuck...). Are there any
other circumventions to cope with the limits imposed on us by the
(forgive me...) obsolescent DOS?

Shlomo Aronson, with whom I'm building a textbasing mechanism based on NB,
has urged me to send this letter to Humanist following problems he had
encountered (meagre memory left for NB, slowness of the ordinary PC XT
computer etc.).

Maybe others have already thought about the above problems (and, which is
more important, came up with any solutions). I thus hope my letter can
trigger some interesting thoughts and discoveries.

Eldad Salzmann
<Eldad@TAUNIVM.BITNET>

P.O.Box 53160
Tel Aviv 61531 Tel: 972-3-472406